There is some bug on IIS 7.5 where the setting on IIS handler mapping not able to function well when it need to edit the existing hander to use other executable module. It not a known bug but it do happen based on my testing.
But we can try do the setting on backend.
CAUTION: Make Sure you have backup all the copy of the file that you edit.
1) go into the C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\config directory and edit the fileapplicationHost.config (you will need to do this in administrator mode, or do it from a different computer networking over to that server, otherwise Windows will protect that file and won’t allow you to change it.)
2) Scroll all the way to the bottom and look for the section that corresponds to your web site <location path=”Your Web Site”>
3) Change/edit the code block to add in the HANDLERS and HTM map below
<location path="Your Web Site">
<asp appAllowClientDebug="true" scriptErrorSentToBrowser="true" />
<add name="htm" path="*.htm" verb="*" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="%windir%\system32\inetsrv\asp.dll" resourceType="File" />
4) Save it and restart IIS. Bingo.
When you install the Window Server 2012, you assume that the installation is done and click on the dashboard, if you receive the error as below, it mean that the setup is not complete yet.
Microsoft have allow you to access to the Window server 2012 even you not done with the setup? Well I think it was a bug where you need to trigger the installation by some step and not by one button. Weird……
How was the step?
(2)search for the file setupmon.exe in C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin
(3)run it as administrator
(4)the installation will continue again
(5) It will prompt you with the message what is the cause the installation is not completed just now. For my case, the ram and disk space is not sufficient.
(6) Follow the step and configure it. And well done , you finally finish setup Windows server 2012.
PS: If your server only have 4GB of ram, forget about upgrade to Windows server 2012.
When your server have symptom as below
a) a lots of log as below
Remote session from client name a exceeded the maximum allowed failed logon attempts. The session was forcibly terminated.
b) IIS unable to start and receive the error result when list the applicaiton pool list
c) intermittent interuption to the IIS service
Your server might under RDP Brute force attack.
Because of RDP Brute force, the memory type known as “kernel unpaged pool” will be almost entirely full. There is a maximum of 256MB on a 32bit Windows installation. This will to continue to cause IIS and other network services to work intermittently and finally stop entirely.
So the solution is edit the RDP port other then the default 3389 so the attacker will not easily know your server port. Golden rules in IT security: DO NOT even use default port for all the service.
1) Start Registry Editor (Start > Run > type “regedit” > press Enter)
2) Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
3) On the Edit menu, click Modify, and then click Decimal.
4) Type the new port number, and then click OK.
5) Quit Registry Editor.
6) Restart the server.
If you want to install the SSL cert (PKCS7 type), You may receive the following error
You can ignore this error. Just click cancel. This is a known bug in IIS7.
Solution for this is to import the cert manually.
(1) Start up Cert Manager
-Start > Run: mmc.exe
-Menu: File > Add/Remove Snap-in
-Under Available snap-ins, select Certificates and press Add.
-Select Computer Account for the certificates to manage. Press Next.
-Select Local Computer and press Finish.
-Press OK to return to the management console.
(2)Import the Cert
-Go to Certificates (Local Computer) > Personal > Certificates
-Click on the More Actios on Actions tab on right corner
-All tasks > import > next > select the cert
-Select the option ““Automatically select a certificate store based on the type of certificate” > Finish
– you will see the Cert appear on the list and edit the Friendly name will do
(3)add into the site and edit binding
If you no sure with the step, you can refer to the url (Edit Bindings section)